Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Stalking for Dummies

One evening, Emily was gushing about her "boyfriend". I always protest this; I just don't like my five-year old talking about boys yet. I know it will happen eventually and that she will, despite her father's best efforts, someday date. But, I really feel as if I should have been able to enjoy the delusion of the contrary a bit longer.

At any rate, she was quite a way into her diatribe when she dropped the boy's name. It was a different name than I was used to hearing. Awesome. I made a mental note to start going through her bag to remove the covert belly shirts and hoochie pants when she turns 13.

"Really? I thought your boyfriend was Tyler. How's he going to feel about Parker being your new boyfriend?"
"Mom. Parker isn't new. They can both be my boyfriend."
"Yeah, that usually doesn't work out so well, Emily. Boys don't like to share girlfriends."

This caused her pause. She had never considered that this wouldn't be a plan eagerly embraced by all.

She thrust out a hip, planted her hands on her waist and made her decision.
"Hm. Well, I guess they're just going to have to have a fight then."

Hopefully in ten years remote tracking devices that can be embedded at the base of a skull will become more reasonably priced.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter